The original church of St. Mary The Virgin stood a short distance to the north-west of Madresfield Court and was in plan a simple parallelogram without distinction of chancel and nave externally, but with a timber porch on the south side and a bell-turret with short spire and pyramidal roof at the west end.
The old building was taken down in 1852 and a new church erected on its site from designs by E. W. Pugin. This second church is described as ‘a parallelogram with two projections on the north side, one of which contained seats for the family at the Court and the other the family vault, to which the old Norman doorway formed the entrance.’ (fn. 99) Being erected on the surface without foundations, the building cracked and settled, and was taken down in 1866, when the present church was begun on a new site further west.
The memorial takes the form of a simple stone tablet inside the church on the south wall.