William Henry Haynes was born at Hanley Castle in 1891, the son of John and Emma Haynes. The Haynes family had moved to Castlemorton by 1897 and on the 1901 Census they were recorded living at Lanes Farm, Castlemorton, where John Haynes was a domestic coachman. William was living with his five brothers, including Walter.
Sometime after this, the family moved to Malvern Wells where William and Walter (and undoubtedly the other brothers) attended Malvern Wells C.E. School. By 1911, William had left home and was working as an under-gardener at Overslade, a small private school at Bilton, near Rugby, Warwickshire.
Sometime after the outbreak of war, William returned to Worcestershire and enlisted in the reserve unit of the 2nd South Midland Field Artillery (Territorial Force). This unit deployed to France in May 1916, becoming 306 (South Midland) Brigade, RFA. At some point William was posted to ‘D’ Battery, 311 Brigade and was killed in action on 21st May 1917.
His is remembered at Malvern Wells School and Malvern Library and also at St Gregory’s Church, Castlemorton.