Joseph Hammond was born in West Malvern, the son of William and Louisa Hammond who, in 1917, lived at 6 Lygon Terrace, Link Top.
The Malvern News reported in May 1918: “Mr and Mrs W Hammond of 6 Lygon Terrace have received official news of the death of their elder son Spr J Hammond on the 29th April. Before joining the Colours he was employed in the Malvern UDC Electricity Department.”
The cemetery in which Joseph Hammond is buried was begun by XIII Corps at the outset of the German advance in April 1918, and continued to be used by them until September 1918. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
His youngest brother Arthur was killed in September 1918, their middle brother served in the Royal Field Artillery and survived the war.
Malvern News 18/5/18
Stevens Annual for 1917 Malvern 1917