Revd G K M Green wrote in Malvern Wells Parish Magazine: “It is with real sorrow that we record the death of George William Harwood, who for over four years had worked in this parish and attended our church, though he lived with his grandparents in Upper Welland. He was put forward for Confirmation by our vicar and was confirmed by the Bishop of Worcester in December 1916. One of his last acts before being called to the Colours was to make Communion at our altar. His young life was cut short by pneumonia after a chill during his time in training. His body was laid to rest in Welland Churchyard on the 28th April 1917.”
William George Harwood was born at Broad Green, Broadwas, Worcestershire on the 16th September 1898, the son of Ernest and Sarah Harwood (nee Weston). He was living in Upper Welland and worked as a gardener for Malvern Urban District Council when he enlisted as a Private and was posted to the 94th Training Reserve Battalion.
He died in a Military Hospital at Chiseldonof Bronchopneumonia and Valvular disease of the heart ( mitral ), a condition from which he had suffered for 2 years. He was buried in St.James Churchyard, Welland, Worcestershire on 28th April 1917 aged 18.
Harwood’s unit was originally known as the 16th (Reserve) Bn, The Gloucestershire Regiment, but on September 9th 1916, its title was changed to the 94th T.R. Battalion when the Training Reserve was established.
Malvern News 15/9/17, 22/9/17
James, Brig E A British Regiments London 1994
Welland Parish Website 2006